Sunday, March 27, 2011

MyMuayThai asks if MMA is bad for muay thai

Muay thai blogger, and a leading resource for news on ring style mauy thai, MyMuayThai.com posted a contributed article  earlier this month arguing that MMA actually hurts muay thai. I, for one, am stoked that other muay thai bloggers are waking up to this reality.  I've made this point in previous posts, and received a fair amount of flack from the TapOut crowd. Thank you Mai for keeping the discussion going.

Here's a link to the article on MyMuayThai.com. It's fairly short and worth a read.


Donnie-

Source: MyMuayThai.com
http://www.mymuaythai.com/archives/is-mma-counterproductive-to-muay-thai/

2 comments:

  1. Donnie,
    First off I want to say that I love watching a good MMA fight on UFC, etc. I respect all the men and women who get in the ring and fight. It takes some guts to do so.
    Having said that, I think that there are quite a few people from different disciplines in martial arts that agree with you and the author of this article. If you look on the Fighting Strong website there is a link to an article where one of the Gracie clans says essentially the same thing but in regards to BJJ.
    I have to agree with some of the posters on Mymuaythai in which they say that there are a lot of good strikers out there but that the nature of mixed martial arts can punish a striker when opposing someone who has a strong ground game. I think if the UFC was to have a "striking only" set of fights that we would see people come out with some serious striking power. As I'm new to this I am far from an expert, this is just my humbler opinion but I would like to see more fights were people stayed standing and exchenged blows, just banging it out. - Nathan DeMetz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course MMA hurts MT, and also all other martial arts. MMA is a hybrid sport; a blend of many martial arts. This means one cannot compete in the sport without some cross-training, This means each discipline will suffer a loss to its pure form as other styles are mixed and matched, weakening the individual martial arts, but strengthening the fighter and the sport of MMA. That is just my opinion and I don't know if it has been expressed similarly all ready on the MMT website. - Hayden.

    ReplyDelete